broody hen ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dmccann, Jan 22, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I have a broody hen ,no roosters,so i got some fertile eggs.The eggs came today,my husband built her a broody area,it is so cold here and our coop is small,so she is in the allseason room,anyways she is not setting on the eggs.I know there is alot of changes,any ideas? thanks

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Put her back in the coop on the nest box she is used to. The cold shouldn't be a problem. The stress of a new location probably put her off being broody. Put some "nest eggs" in her box. These can be fake eggs or even golf balls. Hopefully, she will begin to set on them again.
    In the meantime, take the fertile eggs and keep them inside in a carton that is tilted. You can use books to lift one side of the carton higher than the other side. Switch the way the carton is tilted several times a day. This will prevent the yolk from sticking to one side of the egg shell and emulates the way the chicken turns her eggs when she sets on them.
    When your hen is settled and setting well on the nest eggs, switch the eggs with the real ones. The best way to do this is after nightfall, in the dark.
    I hope this helps. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by