Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by majerah1, Apr 16, 2008.

1. majerah1

majerah1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Ok so i have a little problem.For about a week and a half i have had a hen escaping the run,and couldnt find her.Well,today a neighbor found her in his shed laying on ten eggs.So i got her and put her and her eggs in a brood box i got from a friend.So the problem i have is,how do i know when the eggs will hatch?or does that even matter for a broody?and I have no clue if they are all fertile because at least two days she was gone without being in contact with my roo.Can i candle them and remove the bad eggs without upsetting her?And if so how many days to wait before candling and should i do it at night so i wont upset her?Please any advise for my little broody lady would be greatly appreciated.Oh almost forgot.I had heard the hen would pull breast feathers to line the nest,but she still has hers.Is this a definate thing? thanks so much.

Maj [​IMG]

2. Green Hill Farm

Green Hill Farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    You can candle the eggs after day 7. I have a broody chochin and she's not pulled any feathers. Beth

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I think eggs are fertile for around 2 weeks after mating.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have 3 broody hens at the moment and only 1 am I letting set eggs...she knows more than I do so I don't bother to candle hers....

5. majerah1

majerah1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    thanks all.i think ill let her alone for now.getting pecked kinda hurts lol.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by