Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThePigeonKid, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I have a hen who has two eggs and sat on them all day (I don't think they were both hers). I thought she must be broody, but then she left the eggs to roost on a perch for the night. Is she broody or not? Should I take the eggs out?

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Sorry, she's not [​IMG] Hens that are broody almost never leave the nest. They sneak out when no one is looking! And they certainly won't roost at night!

3. Marion565

Marion565 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a broody that we have started to refer to as "the boneless chicken" she has not left the nest (she is sitting on 4) and she is sprawled out all over those eggs, she looks really flat hence the "boneless chicken" name [​IMG]

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    sometimes they practice for a day or 2 before actually deciding to sit. If they go on the roost, then they are not truely broody yet.
    as for them never leaving the nest......not true. Mine will get off the nest once daily to feed and water for the 1st week or so. I believe that is so they can lay 1 egg a day and by the end of the week they have a whole clutch to sit on and they all end up hatching around the same day because of the slight cool down the eggs experience while the hen is off the nest for those little bits. This is what happens in my coop anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by