Broody Hen

doglady60

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
I'm new to this and I'm wondering how long a hen will stay broody. I'm thinking about ordering some eggs to put under her but she's already been sitting in her box for over two weeks.

She will stay there until she gets some eggs to lay. Meaning, she will lay about 6 or so eggs, then sit there until they "hatch". of course, if you don't have a rooster, that will not happen. Problem is, during that time you don't get any eggs. Also, if she sits there long enough, she can broody herself to death, as they usually don't really eat, drink, or even poop! So I already try to break a broody when one starts. Usually putting something cold under their butt will work!

Quote:
Go ahead & get some eggs if you want her to hatch some for you. She should stay broody long enough to hatch some. The notion that setting is bad for a bird's health is just nonsense. It's how nature has dictated that birds reproduce. On more than one occasion I've had hens hatch 2 or 3 succcessive clutches w/o stopping. When the eggs hatched I took the chicks & put more eggs under the hen. Last year I had a Malay hen hatch 3 clutches in a row & 2 months after the last hatch I showed her & she won her class [AOCCL].

Back
Top Bottom