broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by minister man, May 8, 2011.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Hi everyone,

I am not new to chicks, but I am quite new to broody hens. I have a silkie that has 6 chicks that are 2 weeks old. Three of them she hatched and 3 came out of the incubator. She accepted them well. I now have 6 more chicks that are about 3 days old that came out of the incubator. Can I give her those chicks too? they are the same color as the chicks she has, and her if that matters. If I were to at least try to give them to her, how would I know if she was going to accept them? what signs of problems would I look for? I thought I would put them together when I get home from church, because I am around today to watch the progress, but if everything is going well by tonight, will they be ok tommorrow when I am not home?

what do you think?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That would never work with my broodies -- but broodies like chickens are all different, and there's really no telling. If she seems to take them into the group today, and doesn't attack them, most likely all will then be well. You should have your answer pretty quickly. I wish you well.

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I agree. You wont know for sure if she will take them until you try. But dont leave her alone with them until you see how it goes, like an hour at least. Her other chicks are moving around more and dont need as much heat. she may not be willing to sit as much for younger chicks.

keep us posted.

4. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I guess it is truely "mother's Day" because My silkie hen, maggie seems to be accepting the whole brood. I wasn't sure how to do it so I put the hen in the box with the little chicks for a few minutes first, and then I put the little chicks in with the older chicks and put the hen in. I spread some feed on the floor and Maggie proceeded to scratch and call the chicks, but the little chicks didn't understand that. They came over and ate, because everyone else was. I thought, what releases a mother's love more than danger, so they are in a 2x5 wire pen, and I put our tom cat on the top of the pen. Maggie gathered all the chicks, Hers and the new ones, and hid them under her wings. And there she has sat for at least 10 minutes. So I am thinking that it is looking good for her looking after them.

In our coloured silkies we are selecting for broodiness, because that is thier only pupose for being here. We already had one that abondoned her nest on the 12 day twice, so I am thinking her head is going to fall off, but if this hen accepts and raises these chicks, that would mean that she is a really good broody, Right???? a Keeper??

5. minister man

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    well......... things didn't go as well as I thought that they might...... I had to take the chicks out late last night. She keep them warm all day, but when night fell She started beating on them and chasing them away, so I took them out and put them back in the nice warm office.

Oh well, I tried and it didn't work.

6. mrchicken

mrchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    you could try... I hope that works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by