Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alex, May 6, 2008.

1. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I just wanted to know, how do you tell if your chicken is becoming broody?

2. alex

Jul 1, 2007
    Please?

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I've never had one, but will answer with what I've learned here. The hen will stick to the nest, puffed up and "growling" if anyone comes too close.

I'm really looking forward to having broodies, both because I have never experienced it, and because I would like to raise my own replacement pullets and feed the cockerels up to be dinner.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your hen will sitt on the nest nite an day.an she will try to peck you an puff up at you if you try to get the eggs.an if you take her off the nest an she gets back on shes broody.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    As a newbie I was able to tell because she was sitting on the nest in the morning when I let them all out and was still there at noon and then when I put everyone up for the night she was still there. I was hoping she wasn't sick and reached under her. I felt her chest and it was bare so I knew she was probably going to sit on the eggs for keeps. And she sorta growled at me but being a Cochin she didn't peck at me. They are very sweet birds. But if you reach under them when they are not broody they are usually alert and Matilda only looked dazed and had her wings laid out more than usual so I was hoping for broody. Now all three girls are broody on eggs!
    I am sure it depends on breed also as that is what I read from fellow chickeneers.

6. alex

Jul 1, 2007
    Thank you to all...it really hepled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by