Broody Hen ?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamdoe, Jun 21, 2011.

1. mamdoe

mamdoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Hello everyone,

Hoping someone has some insight. One of my hens just went broody about 2 days ago. Unfortunatly, I rehomed my rooster about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I read that eggs are fertile for up to 3 weeks. I cracked a few eggs to search for the "bulls eye" and did find it...although I am no pro, so I am still not sure if these eggs are fertile or not. I was thinking about buying some hatching eggs and switching them out. What do you all think?
    This is my first time. I had hoped to do it sooner when my handsome roo was still around...but he was THE biggest loud mouth. So he needed to a real farm to live out his days.
    Any tips or advice?

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Chances are, they're still fertile. When we lost our roo suddenly, I hatched out 2 sets of eggs from him. The second batch had about 60% fertility and that was about 3 1/2 weeks out.

Good luck! Broodies are fun.

Blessings-
    Em

3. mamdoe

mamdoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I knew she was broody when she stayed in the nesting box overnight. But now I'm wondering if I should remove the egss she is sitting on now and relocate her and a fresh batch of eggs. So she starts sitting on them (uninterupted) all at once.
    I was thinking I could put her in a dog kennel and then just open up the door for her get out and eat/drink during the day....

4. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    i have a similiar question,if i move my broody hen and clutch of eggs to a different location after she's been sitting for a couple days will she continue sitting or give up on the idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by