Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr.Heart, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Mr.Heart

Mr.Heart New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    My hen has been sitting on her nest for about 5 weeks. I take her out 3 or 4 times a day. She will go take a dust bath or drink and eat a little and then return to her nest. Is this normal?, How long will she do this? Can I do anything to stop this behavior?

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    get a day old chick and put it under her in the dead of night. otherwise you need to break her broodiness. you can find ideas on how to do this by searching "breaking broody hens" or something to that effect. One question tho. Is she on fertile eggs? If so, they should have hatched in 21 days or so.

3. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Hey Mom! [​IMG] You need to mention that you do not want any chicks and that you are removing the eggs... Hope someone can give you some pointers.

4. Mr.Heart

Mr.Heart New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    She does not have a egg and hasn't layed any since I took it out on day two. I don't want to hatch them I'm not set up for that. Thank you:D

5. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    If you dont want her to be broody, put her in a wire cage for a awhile, or a pen that has a wire bottom, that should breck her of it.

6. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by