Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GLBRWyans, Oct 14, 2011.

1. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Okay ,

It has been at least a week and my Rock Barred hen is still sitting on her nest day and night , except when she eats and gets water . What do I do to snap her back to reality ?
    She hasn't laid since this started also . Any input would be thankfully accepted . She is sitting on nothing other than her butt . lol

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Would it be out of line to suggest you give her some fertile eggs to hatch?

3. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:Don't have any , I just have hens . That wouldn't be out of line though .

4. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    This may sound awkward , someone suggested putting a pepper corn in the egg slot , seems like that would be painful , plus I don't think messing around with that
    area is necessary . Someone said she is in a "hormonal trance " , how does one get them out of that trance , do I need to cage her so that she can't sit on a nest ;
    although when I removed her the first time she stayed squatted and someone said that was normal .

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, some natural food stores have fertile eggs (sold for eating), and if there's a Trader Joe's market anywhere near you, that's one source. But not all of 'em do sell fertile eggs... it's kind of a California thing.

Any other chicken keepers near you, which might have a flock with a rooster, you might be able to secure some eggs there.

My favorite feed store has an employee to whom I've sold fertile eggs, and she has given my number to a few people who have also purchased eggs from me. So you might ask at your feed store.

I just think "breaking" a broody is cruel, although I understand some folks may need to do so.

6. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana

Well, some natural food stores have fertile eggs (sold for eating), and if there's a Trader Joe's market anywhere near you, that's one source. But not all of 'em do sell fertile eggs... it's kind of a California thing.

Any other chicken keepers near you, which might have a flock with a rooster, you might be able to secure some eggs there.

My favorite feed store has an employee to whom I've sold fertile eggs, and she has given my number to a few people who have also purchased eggs from me. So you might ask at your feed store.

I just think "breaking" a broody is cruel, although I understand some folks may need to do so.

Yes , I agree , I don't want to do anything cruel , we have only had chickens for a year and a half , so this scenario is new to us . If I can't find any fertilized eggs , what would be the least
    cruelest thing to do ? I have layers , would placing those eggs under her help out or would she sit waiting for something that will never happen ? Thank you for responding also . I raise Racing Homer pigeons , maybe when I get a pair to lay another clutch I can put those under her , but I would have to hand raise them , which isn't a problem because I have hand raised several squabs for different reasons .

7. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Post on Craigslist for fertile eggs. There is probably somebody who'd have some eggs for you...

8. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:I will list in Louisiana Farmers Market Bulletin , thank you , it seems as though this is the best way to help her and to get her out of her broody
    fixation . Thank you for responding .

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you wouldn't need alot of eggs, if just a couple hatched that would make her happy.

10. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i dont see why every one hates there hens been broody and snaps them out of it i love myne being broody one year 4 out of my 8 hens went broody and i loved it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by