broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wmhatt, Nov 13, 2011.

1. wmhatt

wmhatt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    mid michigan
    Hi everyone

We just got our 6 hens this past July and just last night I had a buff orp. decide to stay on a nest. This is her second night on the nest so I am thinking she is broody. Has anyone had any luck having a hen raise chicks in the winter. We live in mid michigan and winters can be hard at times. I am concerned that if i do give her chicks now they will not survive the winter.

Thanks

Wanita

2. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    Unless you have a very warm coop, it would probably be more sensible to wait till its a bit warmer. If your chicken has gone broody once, she'll doubtless go broody again. This might be a good time to see how seroius she is about being a mum - some chickens go broody but get bored before the job is done. if this chicken sits for a long time, and you find it difficult to break her broodiness, that suggests she might be a good mum and would look after her eggs/ chicks. I have several chickens that go broody from time to time but only one that I trust to look after her babies.

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have 2 hens that decided to go broody, I am letting them sit and hatch what they want too. The mommy will keep them warm, make sure you have a heating lamp for when the weather gets extremely cold like it does here in OHIO. I have hatched several babies this time of year because my girls, just can't get the time exact yet. But yes if you have a good mommy, like I have (silkies) they will do the motherly job just fine. My silkies like to go broody at the strangest time, but we have always have success.. Seeing how I have silkies they take the job very serious and will sit as long as it takes until they hatch that first baby out. They are CRAZy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by