broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by waw, Nov 19, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    i think i have a white rock the the chicken house owner from down the road was goning to sell it because it stopped laying eggs so i ask if i could have it he said yes and now it acts like it is trying to sit them she will peck all of the chicken and sleep in the box but when i try to stick my hand in she does not peck she just runs away

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    count your blessings and thank the lord so that your blessings maybe multipliedOnline
    Report | Edit | Quote#2 11/14/2011 7:00 pm
    HEChicken
    True BYC Addict

E-mail PM
    View My BYC PageRe: broody hensIf she is new to the coop, she may just be fearful and anxious. How is she doing now that she's been there a few days longer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Plymouth Rock, 1 Black Star (raising 5 chicks), 1 Brown Leghorn, 1 Black Australorp, 3 barnyard mixes, 1 Black Copper Marans, 1 Cuckoo Marans and 1 SultanOffline
    Report | Quote#3 11/14/2011 7:05 pm
    waw
    New Egg

PM
    View My BYC PageRe: broody hensshe is doing better and she is now sleeping on the top of the nest box when she was sleeping in the highest part of the roost
    thanks that seems like a good explaination

Last edited by waw (11/14/2011 7:06 pm)

count your blessings and thank the lord so that your blessings maybe multipliedOnline

what do you think i should do the pullets are pecking her at night to get of the nest also should i be worried about my 5 month old hens still sleeping in the nest box
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she just might not be broody and just wanting to sleep or hide in the nest box. You shouldn't let them sleep in the boxes and physically remove them if they try to. When it is dark, you can go outside and remove whom ever is sleeping in the nest box or boxes and place them on the roost bar. Eventually they get the hint.

As far as the others pecking at the new girl in the nest box, you may need to install another box so they can get in and lay their eggs. Since she is not biting at your hands when you reach under her, she may not be broody. So I would remove her each time she is just hanging out in there. She may just need time to adjust to her new home. Make sure the others are not picking on her as she may be just hiding in the box from the other chickens.

3. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    she ahs now been in the coop for about 4 months now and i tried what you said
    then my rir and old austrolop hens will race up in there and act broody for about 3-4 hours then get of and let the other one in to sit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by