Broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ole rooster, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    As some of you know I've been waiting for my GLW to start setting considering she started lay her eggs under the shed. Wel she hasn't. But yesterday morning one of the BO's of mine went in the nest to lay. At 3:00 she was still in there. Then when I go down to lock them up last night she was still there. Sitting on one egg. This morning she was still there in one of the 4 nest I have. I gave her 5 more eggs to sit on. I guess now I'll see if Bob, the GLW rooster is the stud he seems the think he is.

That's Bob in the Avatar.

2. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I hope your boy makes you proud.[​IMG]

3. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    very cool. i have wanted a broody... seems like they would be cute once hatched, with mama running around. [​IMG]

4. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The funny part on this is she's not the one I was even looking at. All three of the BO's are somewhat shy but when I went to put the other eggs under her she let out a squeal and nailed my hand. Not once but three times. I think she gonna be a mean mama.

I hope Bob's not just messing around with the girls and being serious. I would like to have some little ones around here. But why would she go broody in Dec? She's got to know cold weather's on the way. I guess chickens and mother nature know best, I hope.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Congrats on your broody. I personally like it when a broody is defensive like that. Once had a little Spanish Game hen that would fly up and hit your elbo, if ya got too close to her brood. And a Shamo hen that could nearly drill through a leather glove, if you disturbed her. I`ve had a few get broody in cold weather. they seem to handle it fine. Even the chicks seem get along with it well and even seem more robust than wimpy brooder chicks. In any event, I`m glad for ya. I`m in Pike county, just below Griffin, about 20 miles.......Pop

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Have you looked for the bull's eye? This link has pictures that really help.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

Sometimes the blastoderm/bull's eye is on the bottom of the yolk when you crack it. I gently use a spoon to turn it over if I can't find it at first. Obviously, if most of the eggs you crack have the bull's eye, most of the eggs you don't crack should have it too. If you see the bull's eye, the egg is fertile.

I always wait a couple of days to give a broody eggs. With some of them you are pretty sure immediately, but they still have to spend two nights on the nest instead of roosting before I trust them enough to give them eggs. I've been fooled before. And I've had my hand nailed by a hen that was not broody at all, just in the nest to lay an egg.

I agree with Pop. Regardless of the time of year they go broody, mine get eggs to hatch.

7. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    She's been on the nest 2 days now and I haven't seen get off yet. Where does her poop go? She's the one I had with the runny butt. I'm leaving it up to her to keep the eggs warm but I did put some insulation under the nest to help out on the bottom side. My nest boxes are external and the only thing from the straw and the outside air is 3/4 inch plywood.

One problem I do have is the red sexlink wants the coop empty and all to her self when she lays. The BO setting is in a fighting mood and ain't going anywhere. Yesterday she fussed 20 minutes, in and out, because the BO was in there. Then walked away fussing. Finally I found her on a nest in the coop with the broody and another BO. All in separate nest of course. That hen is as demanding as anything as I ever seen. But she does lay a mighty nice egg.

The bullseye, Im not sure I saw it cause things were so faint. My eye's are getting worse everyday. That's why I have to use a scope on my guns. I can't see an iron sight.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:LOL, you`ll find out in a day or so. A broody holds it in and when she does come off the nest, the poop ball can be almost the size of a tennis ball and stink like you`ve never smelled. Ahhh, the joys of farm life, lol......Pop

9. Ole rooster

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    This is strange. As many times as I've had chickens I've never had a broody hen. Now that's weirder than I figured to start with,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by