1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Dec 10, 2011.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I have my 1st broody hen. This is her 2nd day sitting.
    I am concerned..... When I checked on her tonight her crop was empty. I have food in front of her and I tried to get her to drink this afternoon when I got home from work but she wouldn't drink. I asked my husband to keep an eye out for her to see if she got up today he said that he didn't see her get up. Is this normal? Any and all info. or advice is welcomed. Thank you.

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    The average broody only gets up a couple of times, for food and water a week. Its normal and they pull through just fine, good luck with her. I love Broody Hens!

3. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you so much. I am so excited she is broody! I just want to make sure she is okay! Is there a book u recommend about broodys? Again thank you so much!

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:Your welcome! I have no books but let nature take its course. I separate mine from the flock, a large pet carrier will do. One thing I did learn the hard way was just let her handle it. You kill chicks accidentally by "helping"

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Thank you so much. I put a large dog crate in the coop ( I have a 12x24 coop) I put her nesting box in there. The other chickens don't bother her. The food and the water are in the coop as well. I did put a small bowl of food in the crate for her so she doesn't have to get off her nest if she doesn't want to. Her nesting box is 16inx16in and is inside the extra large crate with the door open.

6. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Silkie cross brooding right now. A couple times a week she gets up and runs to the Redwood tree to take a dust bath, then she runs to a bucket and chuggs a bunch of water then storms the feeders and back on her eggs in about 10 minutes. She's too funny!

7. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    LOL! Thank you for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by