Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rmh0508, Jan 30, 2012.

1. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    I have 11 5month (almost 6) old Cochin Bantam Pullets. They all started laying eggs around Christmas. One went broody about 2 weeks ago so I went ahead and let her set. Now last week another went broody. I have been taking the eggs away everyday (they all lay in the same box even thought they have others to choose from). Usually the other hens will just get in on top of her and lay then she will steal the eggs. I don't want her to be broody and I was wondering if there is anyway to get her to stop. Like I said I have been taking the eggs away, I usually check 3-4 times a day. Any suggestions?????

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Removing the eggs is fine but won't stop her. There are several methods, which may or may not work. The classic method is to put the bird in a wire cage with food/water but no nesting material, and prop the cage up off the ground so air flows to her bottom. Some people leave them in the cage until they lay an egg.

I've tried and failed to break them. Now I just take them off the nest and nudge them til the start moving around, eating and drinking, etc. Of course when they go back, I make sure there is no egg or golf ball, though I'm not convinced that matters. I do this at least twice a day, more when I can. This way they are at least getting more to eat and drink. Usually they give up within 3 weeks, sometimes in only a few days.

Of course the easiest of all is get hold of some fertile eggs, mark them, and let her hatch them. Got a market in your area for selling chicks? [​IMG]

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Broody prison. Even then , those lil' Cochins love to set! But, yeah, a separate cage, no nest. Takes a few days. Good luck!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be prepared. Potentially there will be a time when all 11 are broody at once. They are, after all, cochins. Somewhere here on BYC someone posted a picture of 9 or 10 cochins trying to set in a corner of a coop - group motherhood.

5. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh that is hilarious! The broody prison becomes the new coop.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How many eggs is the first broody girl sitting on? I'd take some of the eggs from her and split them among the 2 broodies. Then they both get to raise babies and you don't have more chicks than you want. (and the 2nd girl only has to sit for a week)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  7. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    The other broody is setting on 6 eggs but I am pretty sure they are not gonna hatch. Dummy that I am didn't write down when she started setting. I am going to give her one more week then toss them. The one I don't want to be broody has now been joined by 2 other hens :( I guess I will just keep taking then out of the boxes and making them do something else. Right now I am in the coop at least 3 times a day some days lots more so I can at least get them up and around and collect the eggs frequently since the non broody girls will double up with the brroody girls to lay their eggs. I don't have a cage but I will have to get one and try the broody prison lol. These girls are going to keep me busy lol

8. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    my methid takes 10 mins dunk her in water she will immeadilty forget abotut he nest and bam ur hen is back to normal

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Candle the eggs. Go out after dark with a small flashlight and shine it into the egg. If they are developing (at roughly 2 weeks incubation) you will see mostly dark inside the egg. If they are not developing, you will see a bunch of light and the outline of the yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by