Broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachray, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Rachray

Rachray New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    I have a seven month old buff orpington hen that has gone broody with every single egg she has laid. Usually once I take the egg from her she just growls and huffs in the nesting box for about an hour afterwards, but today she has been in there all day long. I don't think she's eaten or drunk anything all day. she went in the box at about six a.m., laid her egg at about three and I took it from her shortly afterwards. It is now around six and she still has not left. I try letting her free-range, which she normally loves, but she went straight back to her box. (Even though there is no egg there.) I tried putting an ice cube under her, but so far she's just sitting on it like it were a normal egg. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she is truly broody (still refusing to leave the nest) and you wish to break her remove her and put her in a separate cage/pen with no eggs or nesting area until her broodiness breaks. As long as she has access to her nest site, she will try to brood. Broodies can be VERY persistent.

3. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    I have a BOB that is on the nest every day! Been there for weeks. I take the eggs out and set her on the ground to peck around...yep right back up there. The other girls push her aside because they want to lay their eggs and of course no other nest will do! Will she ever quit sitting on the nest or will I have to cage her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by