broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mike K, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Mike K

Mike K New Egg

Jun 16, 2008
    England!
    hi Ihave a broody hen and she wont let any other hen in the box to lay! Are there any ways to stop her bein broody?

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Well you might end up having to puting her in a wire cage to try and break her. Sometimes it is very difficult to get them to stop.

3. Mike K

Mike K New Egg

Jun 16, 2008
    England!
    ok ill c wat i can do

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    It is indeed very difficult to break a hen of broodiness if she is determined. I have been trying to break one myself.

Things I have tried:

*Gather all eggs as soon as possible, and remove golfballs, fake eggs, etc. from the nestbox.
    *Keep putting her out of the nestbox.
    *Try to get her moving around, doing things with the other hens.
    *Put her on the roost at night. Don't let her sleep in the nestbox.

So, this has been going on for about 6 days, and today she was not broody. YAY!

I expect that she will try it again in about a month. [​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Mike K - Welcome to BYC!! The thing that seems to work the best with stopping a broody is to put her in a wire cage with NO bedding material - no nest. Just have food and water in there with her. That will often stop them after a few days or a week.

Good luck.

6. Mike K

Mike K New Egg

Jun 16, 2008
    England!
    ok! thanks for the suggestions! how big does this wire cage have to be! my nan said somethin about puttin her in a cardboard box! but I thought Iwud check it out with the experts 1st

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Freeze some large ice cubes, put them in a sealed plastic bag and put them under her.
    Repeat as neccessary.

8. Mike K

Mike K New Egg

Jun 16, 2008
    England!
    are u serious elderoo?

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yep.

10. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I've come to the conclusion that one of my hens has gone broody as well, and since she has only been laying eggs for about 2-1/2 months, I'm not to pleased. [​IMG]

How long do you need to do the ice cube trick to get them to break the broodiness? Does the hen, when using the ice cube trick, go back to laying eggs again fairly quickly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by