1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gagas chickens, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Gagas chickens

Gagas chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    i have a broody hen. just got fert eggs from a farm is 9 too many for her to sit on? and do i have rotate then or will she do it?
    Thanks

2. chickenobsessed

chickenobsessed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    nope my hen is sitting on 14 she was on 15 until a roo broke one so we had to move so she is sitting on 14 eggs, so you will be fine

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hens and eggs come n different sizes, bantam to full sized. A bantam might have trouble setting on 4 full sized eggs, while a full sized hen can cover a whole lot more.

If the eggs are about the size the hen would normally lay, she should easily cover a dozen. I can go Chickenobseesed a little better. I saw one full sized hen cover and get a good hatch on 18 of her own eggs. That was a hidden nest. If your broody is full sized and the eggs match her, 9 should be no problem at all.

You do not have to turn them. That's the hen's job.

4. helomech

helomech Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    East Texas
    I had a broody hen that I left in the chicken coupe. When I finally went to move her she was sitting on 36 eggs. Now there is no way she could have hatched that many, but most of the fit under her. Could only see a few on the sides.

5. chickenobsessed

Feb 21, 2012
    oh my goodness that is a lot of eggs

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I've heard that if you have too many for the hen to adequately keep warm at once, then they can all be compromised because each egg will get rotated out at some point during the hatch. After looking around for a few different figures, I played it safe and went with 12 eggs for one hen as a rule of thumb (regular size brown eggs, regular size large hen). I had 11 hatch both times. I suppose it pays not to get too greedy... [​IMG]

As for turning and such, you don't have to do a thing. It's hands-off once they start incubating--another reason I love doing it this way. No worrying about temp or humidity or turning or not turning--the hen does it all, and much better than I ever could with even the best incubator set up. Ah, nature's perfection...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  7. Gagas chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    i want all mine broody i think there is nothing cuter than a miss sitting on her joys

8. Gagas chickens

Mar 31, 2012

9. chickenobsessed

Feb 21, 2012

10. Gagas chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Im sure the other house hold members would be impressed. it Started with 2 hens.
    Now ducks and hens and rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by