broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jimgunn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jimgunn

jimgunn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    hello, one of our hens has gone broody and is laying on 10 eggs, today she got off her eggs to go outside and then went back and sat on her eggs. When I went in 6 hours later to check on her she had moved to a seperate clutch of eggs. I have no idea how long she had been off the original eggs for. I felt them and they were warm to touch, but still not as warm as before. I managed to get her back on the original eggs and removed the other clutch. Will the eggs still be okay?

2. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    I have had broodies get off eggs until the eggs were at the coop temp (60 Degrees out side) and still had a good hatch. I had one hen move daily for 7 days, and I moved her eggs back under her every day when I got home from work. a few days late, but all 4 viable eggs hatched.

3. Stef82

Stef82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Bucks County, Pa
    They should be ok. At first my broody hen would leave her eggs for a few hours. I candled those eggs and they seem to be growing just fine. I'll know for sure if they make it next week. :)

4. jimgunn

jimgunn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    That's good to hear, hopefully they will all be okay then, she is now in her own little box and small run so no more incubating other eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by