Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joshyboy86, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Joshyboy86

Joshyboy86 New Egg

Nov 4, 2012
    I have a hen which I think is broody, she has laid on a clutch of eggs all day and when I open the lid to the nest box gives a sort of warning, irritated cluck. I checked on her at about 9 pm and was still on the eggs. I live in Idaho and am not sure if this is too late in the season to allow her to hatch some eggs. Any suggestions?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

Our winters are kind of mild, and I have a hen setting on eggs right now. If you have a bitter wintertime I don't know how to advise you.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I've had 2 broodies hatch and raise chicks over the past winter with no problems. They stayed and slept outside and even when it got really cold the moms did a good job keeping the little ones warm.

4. Joshyboy86

Joshyboy86 New Egg

Nov 4, 2012
    Thanks, I am not so worried now that I have heard that.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Make sure that you put the food and water where the baby chicks can reach though. And don't feed them layer feed because it is bad for their kidneys if they aren't laying. I use bricks to provide steps up to the water and feed for the babies.

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Yep, just leave it to her and provide food and water when to chicks are about 2 days old. But try to figure a way so the chicks can get to it and mama can't. She will sling feed all over the place thinking she's feeding them. A real waste of feed. She'll take care of um.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by