Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rocky332, Nov 25, 2012.

1. rocky332

rocky332 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Pakistan
    Hi all, Few days ago I noticed my hen after laying egg sat on it for long time and when i approched near her she fluff and make different sounds i placed some more fertile eggs near her she take that eggs also under her now the problem is that after some hours i noticed she left her nest and go outside normally behaving, after some time i take hen in her nest and she sat again on eggs and then on morning she again repeat this that she left her nest. I just want to know that what happen with her i think she is broody but her behaviour is not like broody hen she sits on eggs and then after some time she went out this all happening from two days , when i place her in nest she again sat on eggs. Whats going on. and the eggs are still productive to incubate as she sat on them for many hours.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

Where is she spending her nights? I never give a hen eggs until she proves she is serious by spending two consecutive nights on the nest instead of roosting where she normally does. I've had several fake being broody. Them going broody is hormone based. Sometimes those hormones don't fully kick in.

I also don't know where you are so I don't know what your weather is like. If you decide to stick around with us, and I hope you do, I suggest you modify your profile to show your approximate location. That helps on questions like this. We have members all over the world on this forum.

In cooler weather broodies spend more time on the nest than in hot weather. In the heat of summer it is not unusual for a broody to leave her nest twice a day and spend about an hour off the nest each time. In cooler weather the trips are less frequent and last a lot less time.

Are the eggs still good? If she is spending the nights on them, probably.

3. rocky332

rocky332 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Pakistan
    Thanks for your reply :) I am from Pakistan and update my profile, Weather here is normal on mornings and it is cooler in nights, she spend nights in her nests by sitting on eggs, Now I provide her food and water in her nest and close the box and noticed this morning this morning that she is sitting on eggs and when i go near her she again fluff and make sounds.
    Thanks Once again:) :) :)

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds broody.
    You don't have to provide food and water in there. She will come off the nest once a day to defecate, eat, drink and stretch.
    When she comes off the nest, mark all the eggs in there so if other hens contribute eggs later you'll know which ones to pull. You want all the eggs she's sitting on to hatch at the same time.

5. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Ohhh .......I am also from LHR , Pakistan..
    It sounds like broody ..just take fertile eggs from her.And give her artifical eggs untill she is a pure broody ..I hope she is a desi or aseel...
    the weather is mild but keep her under shelter.
    GOOD LUCK[​IMG]

6. rocky332

rocky332 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Pakistan
    Ahh thanks iam also from lahore my hen is Assel and thanks for ur reply

7. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    This is a good season of broodiness .the chicks will be big till spring . My aseel is going to be broody in 10 days or 15 but i'll give her only 4 or 6 bcz she waisted eggs the last time . My eggs are in the bator and chicks will be with the broody (grafting).....
    What breed you want next?

8. rocky332

rocky332 New Egg

Nov 25, 2012
    Pakistan
    Now she is completely broody and dont left her nest so happy now, I gave her only 8 eggs as her previous record is also 8. Eggs are mix 2 of them are gloden buff 3 are banatam and remaining her own. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by