Broody hen??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sdsmowen, Jan 13, 2013.

1. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Ok so we have a mixed flock of free range birds (spoiled rotten lol) and our Buff Silkie has gone Broody. She is on day 13 so at this point we think she's in for the long haul. there are 5 eggs some are hers and at least 1 is not. we have her seperated into her own space in the coop. Is there anything else we should be doing at this point?
    Oh and the roo's are GLW and a EE so we are not at all sure what mix we will end up with.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sounds like you've got it all covered to me :) Just leave her be and let her do her thing, oh, and be sure to enjoy all of the cuteness after those babies hatch! Good luck!
    Nikki

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Assuming that you have provided her with food and water in her space, and that she has enough room to stretch her legs a bit when she does get up to feed, I'd say you should be set. Just as a sort of footnote, I know we say that it takes 21 days to hatch eggs, but when I have had broodies hatch eggs for me, it seemed that they only took about 19 days. Fingers crossed for a good hatch![​IMG]

4. sdsmowen

sdsmowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    She's got plenty of room and her own food and water and she is protected inside the coop (which is a converted horse stall with plenty of room for everyone) we candled the eggs this morning and 3 of the 4 are looking great! the 4th was a dud. :) so excited to see little chickies soon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by