broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kostapuleri, Feb 3, 2013.

1. kostapuleri

kostapuleri New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    hello help me please how i can make a chicken became broody ?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You can not 'make' a hen go broody. One thing that MAY encourage a hen to go broody is to allow her to build up a clutch of eggs in her nest. What breed of chicken do you have. There are some that are either non setters or very infrequent setters.

3. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Being broody depends on the breed of chicken. Some breeds brood more than others. Broodiness is more to do with the genes, you can't make a hen brood if its not in her genes. What breed of hen do you have?

4. kostapuleri

kostapuleri New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    necked neck torkens and red stars

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I seriously doubt any of your red stars will ever go broody, as they have been bred to be excellent layers. Going broody cuts into egg production, so they have had that trait bred out of them.

You may have some luck with your turkens, but again, you cannot make a hen go broody. She either has the genes which will support going broody, or she doesn't. If she does, she'll go broody when Mother Nature tells her to.

6. Gino1126

Gino1126 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Turkens I know for sure will go broody. I've also seen quite a few Red Stars go broody as well but on average they do not. It's possible for any breed considered non-broody to have that rare broody. I've also seen Leghorns go broody and hatch chicks althrough extremely rare.

7. kostapuleri

kostapuleri New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    ok thank you all ! ! ![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by