Broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks Galore3, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I would like to have a broody hen hatch some eggs next year, and I would like to know how to tell if the hen will be a good mother. Not breaking eggs, not leaving the nest, etc. I have a EE hen who has gone broody several times and once it took her several months to break. I think I would use her. Any tips on raising chicks with a broody? (I have read several articles, one by myfivegirls which was very helpful!)

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
  3. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you Johnn! I'll check it out. :)

4. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Always let a 'broody' sit on golf balls or fake eggs a few days before giving her real eggs. If she stays on the fake eggs, she'll most likely sit throughout the 21 +/- days. If she's constantly getting up, roosting with the others, etc, she's not ready.

I always separate my broodies from the rest of the flock. I don't dare let chicks hatch in the breeder pens. Last time that happened, all but one chick were killed and that one was severely mangled. Plus, my hens tend to fight over nest boxes and I've had developing eggs broken that way. Not fun. Also be sure the water bowls are low enough for the babies to reach. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you! How many eggs would you suggest putting under a broody?

6. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    It all depends on the size of the bird and the size of the egg. Bantams may have trouble covering 3-5 large eggs while large fluffy breeds can easily cover 12+ large eggs. Be sure she can completely cover the eggs and still have room for a couple more.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok. :) She is a pretty big chicken.

8. wangna

wangna New Egg

Feb 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by