Broody hen?

sterlingb

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Shreveport, LA
I wanted to let one if my hens hatch her own chicks but how do I know if she's broody?? I left about 12 eggs in the coop and they never tried to sit. So is there a way you can tell or do I just have to keep leaving eggs in the coop hoping one might be ready??

Broodiness is a natural instinct behavior that is almost impossible to control. When a hen goes broody she will pull out her chest feathers and will sit on the nest all day and all night, rarely getting up to eat and poo.

What breeds do you have? Some are much more prone to broodiness than others. If you are serious about wanting to hatch eggs naturally I would look into getting a few cochins or silkies as they can be very broody birds. A broody hen will hatch any eggs you give her. Broody hens don't care if there are eggs - when the instinct hits they will brood a golf ball or even an empty nest.

welcome-byc.gif
What breed of hens do you have? Not all breeds will go broody. I would leave a 'nest egg' in the nests - either an artificial egg or an egg marked with a pencil to identify it. Collect the eggs that you want to hatch and maintain in moderate temprature and humidity turning daily. When a hen goes broody, she will hover tightly over the eggs, fluff up at your approach, she may screech if you touch her, once she stays on the nest overnight she is ready to be given the eggs that you want to incubate. Give her as many as she can efficiently cover and in 21 days you will have some chicks. Good luck.

Hi, there will be no mistaking a broody. She will sit on the nest day and night even without any eggs. She will puff up her feathers at you and growl.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully one will go broody soon!! In the meantime ill just watch my eggs in the incubator! :)

Hi folks I live in Ma.and I have a broody buff orp and we just happened to get shipped eggs that we were going to put in the bator for our first try.My question is its cold here at night could I still put eggs under her will they hatch with these temps ranging from20*-40* degrees I can turn a heat lamp towards here and put hay around the outside of nest box.Please any suggestion would be great.I know I can put all eggs in the bator my wife thought it would be cute I just wanna do what's right
Thank you all

Might be a little late, but the hen will be able to keep the eggs warm and will prefer the dark. And she will raise the hatchlings and save you a lot of work. If she is still broody you can put the eggs under her even if you've been incubating them. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom