Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cyndiscof, Jul 31, 2013.

1. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    Good Morning! I have a broody hen that has been setting on an infertile egg for a couple of weeks! Can I give her some guinea keets that I hatched in the incubator? Sounds silly, but I feel sorry for her. All that setting for nothing! :(

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'd give her a cold egg

edited because I read your post wrong [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    I just want to know if she might accept the keets. I might have some chicks in a day or two to put with her also.

4. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Well like most things dealing with chickens there isn't a yes or no answer. [​IMG]She might accept them or she might harm them. I've done a bit of google research and can't seem to find any information about giving a chicken guinea keets. I have read that a broody hen will sit and sit until she hatches something UNLESS you intervene and "break" her (that sounds horrible). I personally don't plan on allowing my chickens to sit on eggs.

5. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    You can always just try her with them. Put them under her and just watch for a little bit to see if she seems happy or angry. Of course if she is angry, take them away straight away! [​IMG]

6. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    x2

I see posts about people doing it at night when the hen can't see that well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by