broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenboy, Jun 9, 2007.

1. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    I have a broody rhode island red hen and right now she's sitting on unfertilized eggs. I'm getting her fertilized eggs but I don't know how to approach her with getting the old ones out and new ones in.

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    chickenboy, It is ok to simply reach under her and remove all the eggs, then just simply place the new eggs under her. It is best to seperate her from the rest of the flock to avoid other hens from laying additional eggs in the nest. It is safer also for the new peeps to be just with mom. Good Luck....

bigzio

3. chickenboy

chickenboy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Woolwich,ME
    see my problem is when I tried to move the nest she started to make a growling noise. And she was pecking away

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:That's typical. Try doing it at night so she has "bed head" and will be less likely to peck.

5. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I did this same thing not long ago. Night time is best and I wore GLOVES. She still wasnt happy but got over it as soon as I left her alone. Also it is best if she is not in with other chickens while sitting. You didnt say. If you need to move her do it at night also as it is less stressful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by