broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chixaregreat41, Aug 11, 2013.

1. chixaregreat41

chixaregreat41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    bruce mines
    My silkie has gone broody...AGAIN!! I got rid of my rooster so she cant hatch but i got eggs from a neighbour as a gift and can see a white spot with a ring around it is it fertile? Can i put them under her?

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    What your describing sounds like a typical fertile egg sign...a white spot with a ring around it. (See link below for good photo comparisons of fertile vs. unfertile eggs).

Yes. Absolutely. You can put any fertile egg under her, and she will hatch it.

Typically, my Silkie can handle about 5 to 6 eggs of standard size, maybe 8 of banty size eggs. Depends on your birds "spread" factor.

Good luck!
    Lady of McCamley

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/facts-and-myths-about-fertile-eggs.html

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    ...oh I should add that the probability of hatching...forgive me if you are already aware...is variable.

You should never wash or put fertile eggs in the fridge. They should be kept at room temperature (assuming you don't have a hot house in the summer). Many recommend with air cell up (big round end). Many recommend rotating the egg carton (tipping a different end) until you have them inside an incubator or under a hen.

I've had the best success with really, really fresh eggs as in a day or two old. Anything over a week, the hatch rate goes down considerably.

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by