Broody hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abbymckinn, Aug 18, 2013.

1. abbymckinn

abbymckinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Hi! I am new to BYC, and I have a campine hen who is thinking about going broody. She is laying in a secret spot behind some bushes instead of the nest box and is spending a lot of time there. But he gets off or a while to peck around an then goes up at night. My question is, should I let her nest there? I really really want a broody! But I don't know f it is safe to leave her out of the coop over night?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it's safe for a hen to be outside and broody because predators will likely find her. Is she walking around with fluffed up feathers and clucking weirdly? Because I've had a couple of my Easter eggers laying in private places like in a pile of branches even though they weren't broody.

3. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    No, she just waits till all the other hens have walked off and then she runs to her secret spot. Lays an egg, and stays there fiddling over her nest for a while! She has been on it for several hours today, I really want her to go broody, so is there anyway to move her to a safer spot while keeping her broodiness?!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Doesn't sound like she is totally committed - most broodies will not come off to eat/drink/poo - they have to be removed from the nest so they will do so, and then hurry back.

Do you have a rooster? You can't have fertile eggs without one.

5. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks! And I have heard some hens kinda "test out" being broody and once they have enough eggs will go full broody. No, sadly our neighborhood won't allow Roos ;( but if she does go broody in a safe place then I was going to buy some fertile eggs. Any ideas on how to make her go full broody? Or when she does move her to a safe place and still be broody?!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, abbymckinn, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock!

7. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Haha thanks! Redsoxs

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could put her in a room with food and water and dim the lights.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. abbymckinn

Aug 17, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok.. Should I do this after/if he goes broody? Or before to try and encourage full broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by