Broody hen!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlechix, Nov 18, 2013.

1. littlechix

littlechix Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    I have a red Pyle Old English Game hen that is acting funny. She went missing for two days (my chickens are all free range) and I thought that some sort of predator had gotten her. But when I went out on the second day to let my chickens out she was out there waiting for everyone!!! I was so happy she was back! I went back out a bit later to give them fresh water and she was gone again!!! Well this happened a couple more time until I finally stayed outside when she came back and watched where she went. The went under a toy car behind my garage and stayed there all night. She has ft been coming in at night to roost or anything. I looked this morning and she has at least ten eggs al perfectly lined under the car. So after all that........what does this mean? Is she broody and trying to hatch unfertilized eggs??? What do I do? I'm so worried something is going to get her at night :/ :confused:

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they're not fertile, then you need to break her from being broody. Put her in a wire bottom cage so cool air can get under her. Keep a little food and water with her and she'll give up in a couple days.
    Eventually she will get eaten outside.

3. littlechix

Aug 9, 2013
    Do you mean put the wire cage over the area where she has her eggs or move them inside?

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Take the eggs away and put her inside in a cage. No eggs with her, just food and water. No bedding either, just wire.

5. littlechix

Aug 9, 2013
    Ah ha! Got it! THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!:yesss:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by