broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lovely guy, Mar 3, 2014.

1. lovely guy

lovely guy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    yesterday my hen was doing strange .it was a nice sunny day..she was continously sitting and i thought that she was sich or egg bound i rubbed her belly and a few minutes later she laid her egg but even then she was a bit slow so i put some eggs in her nesting area so she first sat on them and later on se got up and when i go near her she screeches and today shes is still puffed up and not sitting on them...and when i lock her in the cage she sits on them and when i open it she get up....is that a sign of broodiness.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One of the best indicators of broodiness is that they stay on the nest essentially 24/7, except for one brief period to eat, etc. Having eggs under them has little if any effect on their going broody -- and broodies almost never lay an egg.

3. lovely guy

Feb 17, 2014
    finally she got broody and i have putten 7 eggs under her........................

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, especially at night.

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck!

6. lovely guy

Feb 17, 2014
    but today she got off the nesting box...........and was not sitting on it but stil when i approach near she screems and try to peck ..........what is the problem with this hen.....she sits on them for smetime can anybody tell me whats goin on

7. lovely guy

Feb 17, 2014
    she fooled me today she went to roost with the rooster..............

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Unfortunately, sometimes hens do this. The larger hatcheries have bred for lack of broodiness for a long time, of course in order to increase egg production. It's also possible she is "working on" going broody and will settle down to it in time.

I have 9 hens, either from a hatchery or hatched here from hatchery stock. 3 of them go broody at least once a year, and the others never do. The ones that do, vary a lot in how long they stay broody. This is probably pretty typical.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep. I had one hen "play broody" for 2 months before finally going broody.

10. lovely guy

Feb 17, 2014
    she is acting like a broody but she is not sitting on eggs instead she is sitting on her feed box ....................i cant figure out when i go near she puffs up and peck.........is she broody or will be broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by