1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sophie442, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Sophie442

Sophie442 In the Brooder

May 20, 2014
    I have a hen that I guess is broody. She wants tobsit all day and night in the laying boxes unless I get her out, which I do. I am concerned she is not eating and drinking enough. After I gather the eggs for the day, should I block off their roosting/laying area?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if she is broody. Lock her in a pen/cage away from the nest boxes until she is no longer 'clucky'. It will take days not hours to break her.

3. Sophie442

Sophie442 In the Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Ok thank you! I'll do that today.

4. Sophie442

Sophie442 In the Brooder

May 20, 2014
    I separated her. The only cage i had has a wire bottom. I'm waiting for the hubby to come home to find a piece of wood or something that will be better for her to step on. Anyway, I have this cage up in the roosting area. Should I leave her in there all day and night until she stops clucking? She has food and water. She was not very happy when I put her in there! ANY input would be great!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many people put broody hens in a wire bottomed cage and suspend it so the air flow helps cool her abdomen. Yes, leave her there day and night until she stops her broodiness. You might let her out after a couple of days, but if she goes back to her nest put her back in the cage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: