broody hen

Nkraft

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
Vandalia, Missouri
I just introduced 4 new hens into my flock, and one of them is broody, however, she keeps, after setting for a few hour, knocking the eggs out of the nest and the other hens then eat it, what is up, and how do i fix it without breaking the broody hen of her broodiness?

Try some golf balls under her. See if she knocks those out.

Do you have any kind of ledge on the box to prevent the eggs from falling out? When hens move around they naturally stir up and roll the eggs a bit. Could it be accidental?

Well that was my initial thought. There is a lip, aboit 2 1/2 inches, but this is the 3rd egg she has lost, i checked thismorning and she had 2 eggs under her, when i checked back a few minutes ago, she only had one, which she then knocked out. The last egg she laid on was either cracked by her or another hen establishing the pecking order and the other hens ate it, i wouldn't think that, bit she moved nests so ot makes perfect sense.

Are you sure it's her and not the others? I had an issue in the beginning when my other hens wanted to use that box and the eggs would get knocked out. Did you physically see her? (i'm not doubting you just asking) You could try to put her in a more private place. It may not work, but it's worth a shot.

It might be a good idea to let her have chicks somewhere separate if you have high nest boxes too.

I watched her physically, yes, and my coop is quite small, so private is pretty hard. I could enclose the nesting box and maybe add a curtain? I dont have a rooster, but when i got the 4 hens they had been so i understand that some are likely fertile, a freind of mine has offered to give me some fertile eggs to let her set on.

You could definitely try a curtain. Or if you had a large dog crate that may even work. A curtain would certainly be more convenient if it worked. Next I would even try adding to the lip on the box so it wasn't so easy to roll them out.

Ok thanks ill try that, now one last question, i have a Jen at the bottom of the totem pole who hides in the corner. She thinks im part of the flock and often attacks me, Wil thay wear off when they finish establishing the pecking order, or do o need to intervene?

I would give her a little time to settle in, but establish with her that you are above her. Maybe spread out some tasty treats to win their hearts faster haha Chickens love food.

Lol, well she came at me again trying to collect eggs, so i pushed her around a bit, and hand fed her some grass, she has stopped running at me and calmed a bit, but she keeps jumping up on everything right next to me fpr spme reason. My broody hen is acting strange when she steps off the nest she paces back and forth facing the back wall, like she is searching fpr something though the wall.

Back
Top Bottom