Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MyChickalees, Jan 3, 2015.

1. MyChickalees

MyChickalees Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    Okay, I have detected that I have a broody hen!
    As a first time Back Yard chicken keeper, I have never dealt with this....but, I do have a question!
    The Holidays and been a bit challenging to say the least, and I let eggs sit in the nesting boxes for 2 days, I collected 14 eggs from 6 hens yesterday!
    Today I come home at 4pm and noticed I have a hen laying in the nesting box with 5 eggs under her, from today's lay.
    She was a bit feisty, and angry when I pushed her out to collect the eggs!
    Did she go broody because she saw the 14 eggs from the days before? She is only 8 months old!!!
    Did I cause her to go broody, for not collecting the eggs?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You didn't cause her to go broody, no. You can, however, cause her to come out of her broody state if you are not currently in a position to deal with hatching chicks and adding to your flock numbers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Lollie508

Lollie508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    You didn't make her go broody. A hen can go broody at any time. You did the right thing by taking the eggs. As I've heard the hens will soon realize there are no eggs and will stop. This may not work for all hens, but that's what I've heard. Hope this helps! :)

4. MyChickalees

May 16, 2014
    I have heard that if a hen sees multiple eggs in a nesting box that it can trigger it

5. MyChickalees

May 16, 2014
    Needless to say, I have located a cheap rabbit hutch on craigslist, not far from me and going to pick it up in the morning!

6. Lollie508

Lollie508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Cool good luck! :D:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by