1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dannymadley, Feb 24, 2015.

1. dannymadley

dannymadley New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Gauteng, South Africa
    Hi All, I need some help. Live in Gauteng, South Africa. I have a broody hen which we have been trying to break for more than 2 weeks now, Previous times we were able to break but this time she is adamant. Temps here 95F which is probably also not helping.
    I have heard (and need to confirm here), that I can put baby chicks under her at night and she will raise them. Is this true? I wouldn't want to put baby chicks at any risk. I can get from day old from another friends that hatched in an incubator. I have 4 hens in total. 2 x Koekoek and 2 Lowman Browns. Please advise.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Allow her to become settled in her nest site (as in stop trying to break her), place the chicks beneath her in the evening - this allows her to bond with them overnight, and all should go well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by