Broody Hen,

chickanana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Kansas
jumpy.gif
I guess my Hen is Broody I put 5 Eggs under her yesterday do you think it would be ok to add a few more fresh eggs under her today also? This will be my first time trying for my own little chicks. I kinda hate trying it with cold weather coming on but she will not leave the nest.
hu.gif
thanks for every ones help.

I think that decision is up to you. Being fall I personally wouldn't push my luck. If your eggs are indeed fertile, I would wait and see what happens. Making sure your environment is warm and draft free would be the only way to go, in my opinon.

bigzio

You should be fine putting more under her (as long as you want chicks), Ive done up to 3 days wouldnt add anymore after that. Good Luck !!!!!

I had an egg hatch yesterday that took three broodies to finish the job, because I kept putting eggs in way past the first day. If you have backup broodies, you can try to fool mother nature. If you don't get prepared to see the hen setting on an empty "new" nest she made for herself after she has halfway brooded your eggs and left them setting out in the breeze. Not such a big deal when it is hot weather. I suspect cold weather would kill eggs that sat out for long.

If you do add extra ones mark them so you'll know later if they were successful. They may & may not.

I've had hens I thought were going to brood only to have them quit the job after a few days. So now I have them set on fake eggs for several days to be sure they're going to stick with it. Meanwhile I can collect all the eggs I want to have hatched during those days, and swap them for the fake ones after a few nights of successful setting.

Let us know what you decide, and how they hatch!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom