Broody Hens...2 in a Broody Buster?

mis gallinitas

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
Boulder, CO
Hi there!
I have 2 broody hens at the moment...I have used the Broody Buster technique successfully in the past (isolating a broody hen in a well ventilated rabbit cage for a couple of days)...with 2 hens gone broody, I am wondering if I can place both hens in the Broody Buster? I would appreciate any feedback!
:)

Depends on their relationship. If they are close in the pecking order they can go together, if not you will see pecking pretty quickly. Watch and remove one if there's troubles.

I'm not a professional, but I think that would work fine! As long as they get along of course. Most my hens get along wonderfully :)

They usually get along, but my Buff Orpington is CRAZY broody right now, ruffled feathers, shrieks and growls galore... will try it, observe, and separate if needed.
Thank you...

They usually get along, but my Buff Orpington is CRAZY broody right now, ruffled feathers, shrieks and growls galore... will try it, observe, and separate if needed.
Thank you...
Sounds like me in the mornings :lol:
If they don't get along, can you block off where one of them tries to nest? I broke one broody by removing her nesting box, she never even tried to get in the one below it, she just got over it and went on with her life.

Depends on their relationship. If they are close in the pecking order they can go together, if not you will see pecking pretty quickly. Watch and remove one if there's troubles.
This^^^

well ventilated rabbit cage
How big is the hutch?
Might think about splitting it with a board if they fuss at each other.

Sounds like me in the mornings :lol:
If they don't get along, can you block off where one of them tries to nest? I broke one broody by removing her nesting box, she never even tried to get in the one below it, she just got over it and went on with her life.

me too!!!!:eek:
i will try that,,,,i have 6 nesting boxes for 15 hens; they are stacked 3 on 3, and Crazed Orpington seems to be gravitating to one bottom box in particular...; if she goes into another box, it will have to be Broody Buster for her.
the good news: my other broody, seems to be getting pleasantly distracted for longer periods of time when I remove her from the nesting box...so, she might be on the mend :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom