Broody hens and chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, May 16, 2010.

1. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have 2 broody hens that were sitting on some eggs that I bought. Then 2 more hens went broody and everyone was stealing each others nests, problem I had two of them setting on one nest and in fear of my eggs being crushed. I put them in the bator to hatch. They are hatching now and I was wondering, can I put 2 of the hens in the same brooder box with attached hoop house. The box is 3'x3' and 32 inches high. Will the hens fight over babies, even if I do it at night and set up two nesting areas?

2. nonseq

nonseq Songster

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I have a similar question. So am waiting impatiently for any answers.[​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It depends on the hens. I had one of mine in a small broody pen with her chicks inside a larger pen with another hen and her chicks. They were doing fine next to each other, and I was thinking about integrating them soon, but then while I was moving the chicks one day the hen in the broody pen slipped out and was viciously attacked by the other hen...she was hanging on to the other hen's comb and didn't let go.

So segration is going to continue around here for a long while longer. It was a very scary fight for me to see.

4. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    So they should be okay????? [​IMG]

5. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Crowing

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert County MD
    i have no idea [​IMG] but i want a broody hen, 'course i'll need a roo first [​IMG]

im not a new egg but i forgot my acount psswrd so i made a new 1 i was chillin with my peeps

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by