Broody hens and fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SHRanchHen, Apr 20, 2017.

1. SHRanchHen

SHRanchHen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    Does anyone know how long I have to stick fertile eggs under two hens that just went broody? They've been broody for two days now and I have no roosters but I'd like to stick some fertile eggs under them. They are keeping golf balls warm right now.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Pretty much as long as you want, they're not going to stop being broody unless the eggs hatch, or they're really disturbed

1 person likes this.
  3. SHRanchHen

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    That's what I was hoping for! THANK YOU!!!

4. Poultry parent

Of course! Same thing happened with my hen, I got her some fertilized eggs about 2 weeks after she went broody, and she was fine

5. SHRanchHen

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    I'm so excited now! I feel a little bad because they are Ameracuana eggs going under a couple Banty hens, but those banties sure make good mommas! My Ameracuana never go broody.....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. Poultry parent

My hen didnt care that the eggs under her weren't hers

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I usually wait till a hen has been sitting consistently for at least 3 days before giving her eggs. If you wait more than a week or two, she might stop brooding before the eggs are ready to hatch. And the longer she stays broody, the weaker and more susceptible she will be to illness.

1 person likes this.
  8. SHRanchHen

Mar 17, 2016
    Texas
    Any idea how to move them to a different location and not disrupt the broodiness? They are nesting in apparently "the two best nesting boxes" and are causing my other girls grief!

9. Poultry parent

Move them at night

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    After 3 days of consistent brooding is when I move them into the brooding crate. It will upset them a bit, but if they are fully broody, they should settle down and sit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by