Broody hens (and good mamas)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarkerChickens, Feb 23, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Does anyone have experience with Delawares, Buckeyes, Javas or Welsummers as far as broodiness and being good moms too? We have 6 hens that only go temporarily broody (broody until something else catches there attention, then they are over it! [​IMG]), but are getting a few chickens (above mentioned breeds) soon that may be fine on their own. We thought about a couple silkies since they'll hatch anything, but prefer a standard sized chicken. We'd like to hatch our own chicks via hatching eggs, since we don't want a roo at our house in order to respect our police officer neighbor who has a weird schedule. So...we need a hen that will hatch anything we put under her AND be a good mama! We've heard that some breeds may be broody, but horrible mom's. That would stink. Has anyone had experience with the above mentioned breeds? If they aren't good, what other breed can we add to our group as a "hatching mama"? (FYI...hatched roos go to a friends house till full-grown and will become dinner or breeders).

2. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I am hoping this is the better topic to post under...sorry if it isn't. [​IMG] I figured raising baby chicks is more for chicks, incubators, etc. I am more concerned at the egg stage and the mothering part...I can raise the chicks indoors already. Plus...it is a behavior thing, right?[​IMG]

3. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    I'm pretty sure Delawares are allright but my personal favorite broody breed is Buff Orphington.

4. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    According to Gail Damrow's Storey's Guid To Raising Chickens Pg. 196 There's also Australorp, Brahma, Buckeye, Chantecler, Cochin, Java, Langshan, OEG, Orphington, Silkie, Sumatra, Sussex, and Wyandote that will brood well.

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Game hens can be extremely broody .I've never had a game hen that wasn't a good devoted mother.

6. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Orpingtons are very "fluffy"...are they ok in the heat? We live in a desert with freezing winters and blistering hot summers (100+ degrees at times). Will they take on eggs if placed under them (not theirs)?

7. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    My Plymouth Rock hen is great! She's a bantam, but the big guys are probably just as good.. maybe?

8. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Ok, as for the hot summers, I'm not really sure, it seems as if the fluffy breeds are the best moms/broodies.

9. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Pinkfeather...that is exactly why I am asking. I have three Barred Rocks, who aren't the least bit broody. One of my EEs is "sorta" broody, but not enough to make me trust her. She gets deep in the nest, aggressive towards other hens when she is in there (though the nicest chicken we have otherwise), but won't stay in there for more than a day. We will have several breeds coming soon, but not sure if they are any better. My BRs are great layers, VERY friendly, but definitely NOT broody! [​IMG]

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:If the hen is determined to hatch an egg,she should sit on eggs that are not hers.I would put a fake egg under it before I gave them real eggs to sit on,just to make sureshe is going to stay on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by