Broody hens are driving me crackers!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joebryant, May 19, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Crowing

In the last four to five weeks I've had two of the three black hens with a splash rooster go broody. One miraculously hatched four of several eggs after leaving them for a long time during a cold day; she now has four chicks. The other of the two sat on air for more than three weeks after I gave up trying to break her out of it. For the last week the third black hen has not been laying any eggs, or so I thought. I noticed today that she wasn't with the rooster, and I went looking for her in the yard and woods. I looked in her coop, but I didn't see her in there (see My Page), so I became very concerned thinking of all the terrible things that must have happened to her. I went back to searching everywhere again without much hope. When I got to the coop again, I thought, "... surely not..." Sure enough, she was sitting up in the black poop catch box under the roost, and what did I find under her?
    Yep, about five eggs. I'm not going to fight her; she can stay up there, lay lots of eggs, and have her chicks. It's not worth fighting with a determined hen. I'll just give her chicks away; that's the last thing that I need, more chickens.

EDIT: She and her eggs were on wood chips, not poop. Later, I'll move her, MAYBE.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I gave up trying to break my Japanese of their broodiness after they sate on an empty nest for 2 weeks. Now there's 3 of them all broody int he same nest, a hen pile, and they have about 5 eggs of unknown age. I figure I'll give them another 10 days then candle the eggs to see if any are developing.

3. carriehelene

carriehelene Songster

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Hah, this is my 6th broody this season, and Chickenlittle has 7 of hers gone broody. This seems to be the year for them to drive us nuts.

4. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    So how many babies did you end up with? I love broodies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by