Broody hens are so amazing!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've read about some of the habits of broody hens and now that I'm seeing it for myself I can't help but be awed by them.

Did you know that a broody instinctively knows how long she can afford to be off her eggs each day? I've noticed that on warmer days my broody will stay off the nest for up to 30 minutes. She'll eat, drink, poop and sometimes even grab a quick dustbath. On colder days (like yesterday) she won't leave her eggs for more than 5 minutes - long enough for a quick drink and to poop on her way back to the nest.

This morning I decided to open the door on the coop, despite the cold, to get the birds some fresh air. My broody immediately started re-arranging her eggs, pulling them closer under her body to compensate.

I think I'm in love with my broody! [​IMG]

2. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Chickens are so smart [​IMG]

3. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I had already decided not to get an incubator when I got a broody! So, I let her set and she was amazing! I won't incubate anything so I get thrilled when a broody comes around! And I am doubley thankful when they go broody in the coop so that I don' t have to figh them over it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    My "Maman Silkie" is an amazing broody - she has hatched her own babies plus eggs from other chickens and ducks - maybe that is the reason why I now have 83 animals here......!

Love her to bits - she is my most amazing chicken and I love it when I call her and she comes charging towards me (as does her daughter Tweebie) Silkies are worth far more than their weight in gold!

Suzie:celebrate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by