broody hens at same time!!!!!!!!??????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amirfarmer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. amirfarmer

amirfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    today at night i went to turn on the heat lamp in my chicken coop what i saw was my brown hen sitting in nest box i saw her till 5 min than i turn on the lamp.....she was still in nest box what i tried to touch her she ran from there.......after 1 hour i again went to see in coop this time light was on....I SAW MY SECOND HEN sitting in that nest and the first one was away......plzz tell me what is going on....does i have two broody hens......MY HENS NEVER DID ANYTHING LIKE THIS!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They may be staying in the nest for another reason. If either one is broody, she will essentially stay on the nest 24/7. with one break daily. She will likely also growl and peck if you reach out to touch her, and if you set her outside the nest, she will likely glatten herself out on the ground as if covering a bunch of eggs.

You don't say anything about your setup, but another possibility is that they are in the nest boxes to avoid the light and/or heat from the heat lamp. Chickens handle cold much better than heat, and even in Canada, heat lamps are rarely if ever needed.

3. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    its yellow bulb only

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    I agree with this fully. I have had some hens sit in a nest for up to an hour just to lay an egg.I have had them do this as well when I was checking for eggs.

5. amirfarmer

Feb 9, 2013
    today now in morning i went to see them what i sae was my brown hen fluffed there and making some noise...........ONE IMPORTANT THING....when i saw her her first time and tried to touch she ran away....when she got from there she did a big poop like a broosy hen

6. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Broodys can be sneaky. The big poop is their daily poop. So happy for you I had a broody hatch out three chicks last week, good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by