Broody hens but no roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happinesshill, Jun 2, 2011.

1. happinesshill

happinesshill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey. I am new to raising chickens. I don't have any roosters (that I know of, two of my babies are quite young and it's hard to tell just yet) but I have full grown hens that are becoming broody and acting weird. I thought they would only get broody if there was a rooster around? Is this wrong? I guess that is what they are doing.....they are puffing out their feathers and crouching and running in circles and all around making a low clucking sound and won't let me pick them up for anything when usually I can quite easily.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

That doesn't sound broody. Broodies will sit in a nest and stare blankly off into the distance until disturbed. Then, most will growl, hiss, squawk, and bite but will NOT get up except once a day to eat, drink, and poo.

And they can go broody without a rooster. The chickens don't know they need one to have chicks. All the hens know is you sit on eggs, the eggs should hatch!

3. Greenleggedhatch

Greenleggedhatch Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Sounds like they are broody to me. Do you know anybody that has some fertile eggs to put under them, or do you want to raise more?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by