Broody hen's chicks about to hatch...

redwa

Songster
12 Years
Aug 9, 2007
I know how to take care of new chicks I have incubated, but is there anything I need to know when a hen hatches her own? They are in their own clean large, safe space. I am assuming she will keep them warm (no heat lamp) and I will have starter mash and water for them. She will probably eat their food, is this a problem? Her food is mostly pellets (aside from the other stuff) so I assume they won't be eating hers. Anything else I should know?

I had my first broody hatch her chick three weeks ago. Yes, she will take care of it herself. She will keep it warm and teach it to find food on the ground (if given access). It's so sweet to see my hen kill a worm or grasshopper and then call to her baby to come over and eat it.

I kept mine separate from the flock for two weeks and then let them together during the day. Momma has done a great job protecting her baby from the other chickens. They are all living happily together now although I still put momma and baby back in the rabbit hutch by themselves at night.

Chirpy - Thank you, You answered my question and another one I had about integrating them with the rest of the flock. We will also be introducing a few other day old chicks when hers hatch that we will be getting from someone else. I was planning to just slip them under her. Any thoughts?

Slipping them under has worked for some and not for others. All you can do is to try it and be prepared with Plan B if she doesn't accept them. Put them under her at night while she's sleeping. Make sure you are there when she wakes to protect the chicks if she attacks them.

Good luck!

Thank you! Just this afternoon I heard them peeping from their eggs. We are all so excited to learn from her how it's done....

Back
Top Bottom