Broody Hen's Eggs Just Drowned!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rgvchicks, Mar 29, 2012.

1. rgvchicks

rgvchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    Roma Texas
    ok....so we were just hit by severe weather about 2 hrs ago.....it just stopped raining and i stepped out to check my chicks at their coop and everything is allright (got 115 chicks).....i then checked my flock at their coop and turns out that one of my broody hens laid just below a water drip from the ceiling....didn't know about this since it hardly rains down here.....anyway i picked up her nest and tilted it to the side and about quart of water drained out.....i removed all the grass of the nest and repolaced it with pine shaves and placed her eggs already towel dried back in the nest and my hen went ahead and laid on them again......Question: Since those eggs weren't warm for those 2 hrs or so because of the water inside the nest, did i loose my hatch?........[​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    It might have just slowed down the process for a day [​IMG]

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    When one of my BO's was settin she would get off the nest long enough the eggs got cold. But the last 7 days she was like glue. So I wonder if all this 95 degree stuff matter that much, at least till the last week? [​IMG]

4. PsychedChicken

PsychedChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    The hen knows better than any of us. Especially if this isnt her first rodeo... I have seen hens continuously kick eggs out of their nest, mark them, and it always be the same egg. So I guess she knew it was bad... Hopefully she has reason to believe they'll be okay.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You did all the right things, and the eggs if fertile should still hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by