Broody hens; eggs laying sideways

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Feb 17, 2012.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I have 2 marans that went broody so I put them both on nests and they are doing great about staying on the eggs but when they get off the nest I notice that the eggs are not turned with the fat side up. I let a showgirl hatch out 24 quail eggs and she kept them perfectly in a mound with the fat side up. Any ideas on this?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Always thought chickens brooded their eggs laying on the side. Difficult to keep them standing on the point with out a rack or egg carton. Quail eggs ain't they much rounder?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Logically, isn't it sort of impossible for a hen to keep the clutch small end down and large end up?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine always move the eggs around. I thought they were supposed to be moved around, isn't that why incubators have automatic turners?

5. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I don't know it is only my second time letting a broody hatch out a clutch of eggs that's why I'm asking. The first time it was quail eggs with a show girl hen and when she would get up to eat they would be all round end up and when she got back on them she would spend time adjusting any that moved. So I thought that she was instinctually doing what we recreate in the brooder. Maybe I had an OCD showgirl hen.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    yes, except I put alot of pine shaving in the nesting box when I isolate the hen so it is actually like a nest and if all the eggs are pointy end down, the nest is shaped to reinforce this position of the eggs.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Yes, it is impossible, for sure.
    The hens "turn" the eggs frequently.

8. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Ok thanks for everyone's help. Learning all the time on here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by