Broody Hens, etc.

Angie E

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
A couple of my hens went broody and its messing with my other hens getting to the nesting boxes and proper nutrients. Three days in a row now I am finding at least one egg dropped on the floor under the perch that has a soft eggshell. After going to the "Chicken Expert" at Linton Feed and Seed, a solution was given that I give them some babies to get them off the nests. So I came home with 2 (1 each) new Welsummer babies. The chicks are accepted by the moms now and will give me some pretty dark brown eggs with spots once they start to lay. My research says that they will lay extra large eggs after the first year and that they are really nice or people friendly :) So my flock is now up to 11 birds. 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Australorp, 3 Cross Breeds, and now 3 Americana, and 2 Welsummer as well as a Cross Breed Rooster that is probably going to be rehomed. He keeps body slamming himself into my legs when I am not looking, little brat! His name is Junior an is he son of Spot, the mean rooster that I rehomed last year.

A couple of my hens went broody and its messing with my other hens getting to the nesting boxes and proper nutrients. Three days in a row now I am finding at least one egg dropped on the floor under the perch that has a soft eggshell. After going to the "Chicken Expert" at Linton Feed and Seed, a solution was given that I give them some babies to get them off the nests. So I came home with 2 (1 each) new Welsummer babies. The chicks are accepted by the moms now and will give me some pretty dark brown eggs with spots once they start to lay. My research says that they will lay extra large eggs after the first year and that they are really nice or people friendly :) So my flock is now up to 11 birds. 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Australorp, 3 Cross Breeds, and now 3 Americana, and 2 Welsummer as well as a Cross Breed Rooster that is probably going to be rehomed. He keeps body slamming himself into my legs when I am not looking, little brat! His name is Junior an is he son of Spot, the mean rooster that I rehomed last year.

Welcome to BYC.
For future reference, there are other means of getting a broody out of her state that don't require adding to the flock (unless one wants to use it as an excuse to add birds, lol). The bolded sentence at the end of your paragraph - that is exactly what most advocate not breeding a rooster with aggressive nature.

No, SnowPeeOstrichU, not yet. They are still in the henhouse on the nests. I will soon though.

Last edited:
Thank you, Ol Grey Mare, I did catch some flack from my husband for getting the newest chicks yesterday, lol. I would be interested in know what else to do as they are still sitting on the nests with the chicks. I think that they are bonding or imprinting but am not sure. I am hoping that they will get out and about soon...

Last edited:
Chick adoption successful. Pictures to follow.

Last edited:

This is Red with her new chicks. Adoption successful!! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom