broody hens every where!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken delighted, May 25, 2011.

1. chicken delighted

chicken delighted Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    i have 5 broody hens sitting ! this year 10 have went broody. has this ever happen to any one i have 30 hens in with 2 roos. any every time i think where about done here we go agian, [​IMG] i love seeing the chicks but does any one know do they slow down towards fall. my egg production has slow down some with 5 of the girls in broody pens. i hope we have lots of pullets [​IMG]

[​IMG] is it the weather , the food or just broody fever

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I think it's just broody fever. I just say my little prayer each night, PLEASE not another one tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My ducks are doing this to me right now! I already had 5 ducks & 1 chicken on nests and another duck went broody today!! [​IMG]

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I had one broody hen back in Feburary and made the mistake of wishing for another in my small flock of 9 laying Buff Orpingtons. Well.. what is the saying.. "be careful what you wish for".,. [​IMG] I had first one.. two days later.. another.. 1 day later..another .. and just last weekend.. #4. They decided to occupy all the most popular top nest boxes so my egg production went down to almost zero!! The first hen hatched out on Monday.. number 2 started yesterday.. both have been moved to the floor - which opened up two nests...I got 4 eggs yesterday... [​IMG] I can only imagine what the future might hold since I have a "bunch" of chicks being raised up.. with the oldest being 23 weeks and the youngest 1 day old [​IMG]

DH is working on plans for more nest boxes for the girls...a different design than the current 4 upper/4 lower cubeish one since rarely - if ever.. are the lower nests used. It is funny to watch the line forming for one of the upper nests.. I wonder if any of the other... nope.. not going to say it!!!

Shelly

5. chicken delighted

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    thank heavens [​IMG] i thought mine had went wild with the fever. i hope we all have lots of healthy chicks let me see some of your hatches if you can i will up load some of mine so far.
    good luck with your hatches [​IMG]

6. chicken delighted

Mar 26, 2011
    mesick,michigan
    here is some of our recent hatches [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bunny the EE and her chicks mixed breed 5/17/2011

[​IMG]

Dede- goldenlaced wydotte and her chicks light brahmas 5/12/2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by