Broody Hens fighting over eggs ::Update with new questions::

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jennyalger, May 22, 2008.

1. jennyalger

jennyalger Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm not sure what I should do in this situation. We had an araucana hen gone broody and she was sitting on a bunch of eggs for four days. Today one of our black sex-link gals went broody and kicked the araucana off the nest. To top it all off, one of our other gals has gone broody as well and she is right now sharing the nest with the sex link. Do I do something about this, or do I just let them fight their way through who's on the nest when?? I don't want our precious araucana to get sad because she was kicked off the nest...does that happen?? We are completely new to this, saw the chicken brooding and thought it'd be fun to see what happens...I never thought we'd have a hen fight over the eggs!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    If you can,separate them and give each their own eggs.

3. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I don't ever leave a broody with the other hens as this will happen and eggs will get broke. I use a pet taxi to move my broody into as her nest. Get the nest ready with hay. And move her at night. Get the eggs out first, make sure you cover the eggs as she will peck. Then move her easy to the new nest close the door and put her in a safe place away from the others. I also use a dog crate and set up the pet taxi in front fix it together I cover the open hole with chicken wire give her water and food and just keep an eye on her and wait till time to hatch. I then move her nest in all over to a small pen or tractor that is safe for her to brood her chicks. You can do this with no problems.
    And best of luck.
    Is the sex-link a true broody, is she staying on the nest at night?

4. jennyalger

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm not sure if the sex link is a true broody...she just jumped in and took over today...and the araucana went to roam around the yard a bit. I guess if the sex link wants to keep them warm for a bit for the other lady to stretch, that'd be ok, I just don't want them to keep fighting over the eggs. [​IMG] We have a pet kennel in the coop where we were trying to get the ladies to brood, but they decided to make a nest behind it instead. Maybe I'll try and move the eggs and the araucana into the kennel tonight and let her raise the babies. Thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes!!

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It sounds like the hens just like the same spot to lay.
    Keep us posted on how the move goes with the araucana.
    Hope it works out for you.

6. jennyalger

Mar 3, 2008
    Well...things seem to have calmed down. The sex-link is indeed broody, but by the time I got home last night and checked on them, they had divided the eggs into two nests and have been happily nesting ever since...the other chickens are minding their own business and all seems to be well...hopefully they brood well and the eggs are all good! I do have another question though, what is safe to mark the eggs the chickens are laying on to make sure they aren't stealing other eggs to lay on as well? I'd like to continue to get the fresh eggs and just leave the others for the ladies to lay on, but I'm not sure what to mark the eggs with...I'm thinking a permanent marker is too strong and might make them reject the eggs?? Thanks for all your help!!

7. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    I'd mark them with a pencil, use a carpenters pencil with wide lead.,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by