broody hen's first chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oconnorfamily25, Jul 9, 2011.

1. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    My broody silkie hatched out her first baby today. There is one more egg. When she saw the baby she had no idea what do with it, but finally got it under her wing. She is in an elevated box in the main coop with her flock. Should I move her inside to a box with a light so when she gets off the nest the baby won't get cold? The baby is looking for her to do something, but she isn't. What do I do to help them and let her hatch out the other egg?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Go get a bowl of vanilla ice cream, chop up some fruit to put over it, and enjoy.

The best thing should be to leave her alone. The chick will do fine for 72 hours without food or water. She will probably bring it off the nest long before that, so have some food and water where the chick can get to it when she brings it off the nest.

The broody has a built in heater that never runs out of power. She will keep the chick warm. I would absolutely not add a light or other heat source. All that will do is confuse the broody and expose the chick to overheating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by